Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Who Are We Wednesday #5: Who is our Producer Janice Villarosa?


Introducing Janice Villarosa who will serve as the producer for “The Next Page.” We met Janice back in 2011 during the Long Island International Film Expo (LIIFE) and have become great friends since. This is our first time working with Janice; she has worked on a number of major films some of which have screened at the Cannes Film Festival Market as well as the Palm Springs Film Festival. Among her major projects is the documentary Shunned which shines a light on the emotional abuse that transsexuals go through in modern times. 

Check out her IMDB page for more info. Here is a bit more about Janice.

How did you get into film?

A very wise man (my acting teacher Tom Patton) once told me, “If you are reading your obituary today, do you like what it says?”  I took a hard look at myself.  I always knew that I wanted to make some sort of difference but I did not know how.   

A few years before, a very good friend of mine went to prison for something he did not do. I knew he was innocent because I was with him at the time it allegedly happened.  The event happened in a small town USA and nobody believed me and the other witnesses, which consisted of Filipinos and a Mexican.  They did not believe us because “we stick together.”  I never felt so helpless.   There were so many injustices that happened in that trial I vowed I would somehow bring justice to my friend and also, hopefully, for other people to not suffer the same fate.

That injustice, along with seeing someone I love going through abuse for many years.  I felt the same disempowerment that I experienced with my friend. 

I became more aware of other people’s plight and I realized that I wanted to speak up for them.  I would like to bring in my own way, to bring voice to the silent and bring a message of hope to them. 

That is why I did my documentary, Shunned, about the lives of Transsexuals in the Philippines.    I realized that I was judging them myself, so I wanted to correct that within me.  I decided the only way I could do that is to immerse myself and get to know them.  It changed me, my crew, the people around me and I hope it will have a greater impact. 

Favorite Movies? 

I have a lot of favorite movies but the one that means the most to me is The Sound of Music, my Grandma’s favorite.  When I was a kid, we would watch the movie together many times and we both never got tired of it.  A few years later, my grandma succumbed to coma in the Philippines.  It took years before I was able to see her.  As soon as I saw her in the hospital, I placed the recording of the movie right beside her ears and she cried.  That is why it would always meant so much to me.  Nothing would ever beat it. 

Favorite Directors?
There are so many talented independent filmmakers and they, along with the greats, inspire me.  I have friends who continually inspire me. 

Favorite Film Festival?

Any film festival that screens my films would always have a place in my heart. ;)  The festivals that I end up going to, of course would always have a deeper dent.  Then there are those who have made me feel like one of the family that STOLE pieces of my heart. 

What do you enjoy most about going to Cannes? 
 
Having reunions with the people I met in the previous years.  Of course as each year passes, this list continues to grow. 

Cannes has always been a dream for me.  So when my short film was in Cannes Court Metrage Short Film Corner in 2012, I was extremely thrilled.  The first year was quite overwhelming.  There are so many aspects of Cannes and so may things to do and learn, from screening your own films, watching other films, going on workshops, networking, red carpets, business meetings…that with staying at all wee hours of the night networking—you pretty much count on no sleep for the entire duration of the festival.
I had another short that I produced, Filipina, at the Short Film Corner.  Last year, my documentary, Shunned, screened at the market.  Cannes will always be special.

What excites you most about working on the Next Page?

First of all the story was what intrigued me from the moment Francisco and David told me about it, two years ago.  A number of the people I love have died from cancer. But I also have a number, like my brother, my Aunts, who are survivors of cancer.   

I continually asked the brothers about the script until they had it ready for me to read a few months ago.   The script definitely sold me.  It is such a beautiful, powerful story, with so many character archs.

Aside from the script, seeing the work ethic these two brothers have, made me more excited to be working with them.  I am a hard-worker and so when I find filmmakers who are equally or even more of a go-getter than I am, it’s refreshing.    I believe the film will go much further with everyone giving 100%.  We have a great team consisting with people I have been wanting to work with for a long time.  I am honored and I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment